Answered By: Rebecca Mackle
Last Updated: Feb 03, 2016     Views: 10

If the performance is being examined, you can use an extract from a recording, subject to 'fair dealing' restrictions.

Check what licences the university holds; PRS and PPL licences are usually needed for public performances.

Alternatively, you could use materials that are out of copyright (bearing in mind that the date a CD was produced, rather than the date the music was written, is generally the copyright date), or materials licensed under an open licence such as Creative Commons.

Our Copyright guide has more information on sources of copyright-free music.

You can also follow this tutorial to find resources.